Monday, June 4, 2012

Savory Basil, Tomato & Zucchini Muffins (GF)


Hi there!

Has it really been over two weeks since I last checked in? I guess I needed a vacation from the land of blogging. No, I'm not throwing in the towel. Just trying to figure out a way to keep this sustainable and interesting (to me and you) for the long haul. Sometimes I wish that I had created a broader theme for my blog, as food is only one of the things I am consumed by. Can I talk about things other than food here? Like mosaics, solar eclipses, and other wonders of the world? I wonder...



For this post, however, I will continue to ruminate on the subject of edibles. I was leafing through the cookbook put out by Béa of La Tartine Gourmande, whose blog is gorgeous, inspiring and utterly delicious. She has in her book a recipe for savory muffins which seemed like such a good idea to me that I rushed downstairs first thing this morning to make a veggie voyager version. I have to say, these are super tasty and a great on the go option for those who don't want to have a sweet breakfast. I made a big batch of batter, scooped out a dozen mini muffins without cheese, and then added 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese into the other half. Both were great. The cheese ones were off the hook. A spicy element would have been good too. Next time, I think I'll do a version with jalapeño, cheddar and cilantro.


Savory Basil, Tomato & Zucchini Muffins (GF)


  • 3 small zucchinis, chopped small or grated
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice, and optional) 
  • 1 cup almond pulp (or flour)
  • 1 cup amaranth flour
  • 1 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (or buttermilk)
  • 3 large eggs (or 1/2 cup flax meal)

Preheat oven to 400F.

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix together, and then add vegetables and cheese if using. Scoop into muffin moulds, and sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are firm to touch and golden brown on the tops. 

 
Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment