Saturday, October 13, 2012

papad with spinach paneer spread

 

 Hi there! It's been quite a while. My blog presence has shifted to the art world. I am still eating, cooking and traveling and have even felt a twinge of guilt from time to time for neglecting the veggie voyager. Can't promise to post all the time....but I'll try to be better.

In case you're wondering what I've been up to, please take a minute to check out the amazing project I am up to my ears in here in Mumbai, India.

Me (in the middle) with friends and colleagues in Mumbai.

Papad is an Indian snack food that is available all over the place. If you have an Indian market near you, I suggest you go pick up a packet. My friends here tell me that, like ramen in the US, papad is the food that gets college students through those tough nights of studying and drinking. It is not the kind of food that most people here even bother to make from scratch, although I have heard tell that it is sometimes done. But most people just buy papad the way we buy tortillas.

And tortilla like it is. It is a crunchy, flat disc on which one can put any number of toppings, or just eat plain. I have been experimenting with all kinds of different toppings here in my 21st floor apartment. My favorite to date would have to be a spread of yogurt, paneer (Indian cheese, not unlike fresh farmers cheese), garlic and spinach. Kind of a fusion invention, I hope it will appeal to Indian friends as well as everyone else in the world who loves a good quick snack. Consider it fusion food.

papad three ways: grilled paneer & tomatoes, olive oil & tomatoes, spinach paneer spread & tomatoes.

Topped with fresh tomatoes, this can't be beat...

Spinach Paneer Spread
6 cloves garlic
little bit of oil
1 bunch spinach
1 lb paneer (or farmer's cheese)
1/2 cup plain dahi (yogurt)
1 green chili
salt and fresh pepper to taste

Chop the spinach and garlic finely. Sauté the garlic in oil until fragrant and add the spinach to wilt for a minute or so. Put the rest of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until creamy and spreadable. 

Heat the papad on a dry skillet until it bubbles and becomes crispy. Remove from heat, spread with the spinach paneer spread, top with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and fresh pepper. Enjoy!

2 comments: